Miss Harlequin is Going Green! | Wedding Beauty | CCCW Creative Partners
Miss Harlequin is Going Green!
We are so excited to announce that all Miss Harlequin artists will soon be stocking their kits with exclusively natural, organic, non-toxic hair and makeup products! This change reflects the newest trends in beauty, and takes into account the growing number of women who are concerned with the chemical additives and artificial ingredients that are extremely common in conventional beauty products.
My own natural beauty journey started 8 years ago when I was diagnosed with psoriasis. I began researching natural remedies and gradually switched all of my personal care products to natural and organic brands. The research I did led me to some startling facts:
- Personal care products are manufactured with 10,500 unique chemical ingredients, some of which are known or suspected carcinogens, toxic to the reproductive system or known to disrupt the endocrine system. Though some companies make products that are safe to eat, others choose to use dangerous ingredients like coal tar and formaldehyde, both human carcinogens, and lead acetate, a developmental toxin.
- No premarket safety testing is required for the industrial chemicals that go into personal care products. According to the Office of Cosmetics and Colors at the federal Food and Drug Administration, “…a cosmetic manufacturer may use almost any raw material as a cosmetic ingredient and market the product without an approval from FDA.”
- Cosmetic ingredients do not remain on the surface of the skin. They are designed to penetrate, and they do. Scientists have found many common cosmetic ingredients inside human tissues, including phthalates, parabens, and persistent fragrance components.*
Pretty scary stuff…especially when you consider that the EU has banned over 1,300 individual toxic ingredients for cosmetic use, while the US has banned only 10. These are ingredients that have demonstrated some level of human toxicity in studies but have absolutely no use restrictions under US law.
I started thinking about the long-term exposure to these ingredients that I was putting on my face, body, and scalp every single day. I no longer felt comfortable using these products on myself, and by extension, I felt a strong responsibility to my clients not to use toxic products on them.
My initial concern was finding beauty products that hold up to the exacting professional standards that our team requires and our client’s demand. Professional quality hair and makeup products have to hold up to different conditions than products for everyday personal use, and after months of research, testing, and discussions with brand ambassadors, I put together a completely natural kit that meets all of my professional standards. It was an exciting project for me to discover how many gorgeous and luxurious natural and organic beauty brands are on the
market today; brands that I can feel good about applying to my clients. Today I feel completely confident that the natural products I use meet, and in many cases exceed, the performance of the conventional products that I previously used, all without the worry of exposure to toxic ingredients.
After bringing this information to our founder Lucy Flint, and demonstrating the quality and performance of the natural products that I found, she quickly became a convert. I’m so proud that we will be leading the industry as the first 100% green hair and makeup agency in New York City. This is a cause that is personal to me because of my skin condition, but also as artists and beauty experts we at MH feel a responsibility to our clients to provide the best service without exposure to anything potentially harmful. Because of this, we have developed our MH Pledge:
- All hair and makeup products in our kits will have a score of 3 or lower on the EWG Skin Deep Database (the leading independent watchdog group for toxic ingredients in cosmetics).
- No products used by MH artists will ever be tested on animals.
- All products used by MH artists will be completely free of the following ingredients:
– Boron Nitride
– Bismuth Oxychloride
– Artificial colors, flavors, fragrances, and/or preservatives
We can’t wait to share the amazing world of safe and non-toxic beauty with all of our clients!
Here’s to a clean, green (and gorgeous) 2018!!
Senior Artist, Miss Harlequin Makeup, and Hair
*Source: Environmental Working Group